The capital of Texas is Austin, which is the thirteenth most populous city in the United States. Those who reside in Austin are known as "Austinites." The city gained the nickname "Silicon Hills" in the 1990’s because of the developing centers for technology. Currently, Austin is called "The Live Music Capital of the World" due to the musicians, live music venues, and TV show Austin City Limits. In recent years, some Austinites have also adopted the unofficial slogan "Keep Austin Weird".
Austin is a hotbed of arts, music, & filmmaking with diverse residents in a region that holds a high esteem for eclectic & unusual lifestyles. Austin, along with surrounding areas is known as the Texas Hill Country, which attracts large numbers of vacationers & resort attendees.
- Estimated Population :950,715
- Foreign born :18.20%
- Language other than English spoken at home :32.40%
- High school graduates :88.00%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher :47.70%
- Median Household income :$ 60,939
- Per Capita income :$ 35,672
- Population per sq. mile :2,653
- White :75.90%,Black or African :7.60%,American Indian :0.40%,Asian :6.80%,Others :9.30%
- Urban Music Festival
- Umlaur Garden Party
- O. Henry Museum World Championship Pun-Off
- Statesman Capital 10,000
- Art City Austin
- Austin Food & Wine Festival
- The city is home to two Fortune 500 companies. They are Whole Foods Market and Dell’s worldwide headquarters (located in nearby Round Rock, a suburb of Austin). Other companies of note headquartered in Austin include Absorbent Ink, Astrotech Corporation, Austin Energy, EZCorp, Farm Credit Bank of Texas, Fuddruckers, Golfsmith, Green Mountain Energy, Hoover’s, InQuinox, and Keller Williams Realty.
- There are two public universities located within the city limits: University of Texas at Austin (UT), and Austin Community College. Private colleges in the city include St. Edward’s University, Concordia University Texas, Huston-Tillotson University, Seminary of the Southwest, Acton School of Business, Austin Graduate School of Theology, Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary, and The Art Institute of Austin.